Liver Health and Ayurveda

Liver Health and Ayurveda

By Vaidya Vishwanath December 15, 2022


According to modern medical science the liver is the largest organ in the human body which also functions as a gland. The liver provides more than five hundred vital functions, and the most important ones include filtering all of our blood to remove toxic substances, such as drugs and alcohol, producing bile a substance that digest fats, and processing fat soluble nutrients like vitamin A, D, E, K, B12, as well as iron and copper.

Ayurveda says the liver is the home location for pitta dosha, the fiery mind-body element associated with metabolism. The liver is a fiery hot organ that is responsible for converting rasa dhatu (plasma) to rakta dhatu (blood). The liver helps identify ama (toxins) in the rasa dhatu and stores it before it can enter the blood, it helps maintain pure clean blood.

The liver produces 90 percent of all cholesterol and only the remaining 10% comes from the foods that we eat. This is the main reason it is necessary to maintain healthy liver function. The liver is the source for producing healthy blood and when the liver is congested or clogged it can be observed that our hemoglobin level drop. Ranjaka pitta is a type of pitta dosha that is present in the liver and responsible for making blood a healthy red color.

The liver is the sole organ that keeps our metabolism balanced and performing in top condition. However, when it becomes imbalanced symptoms will develop like low appetite, slow metabolism, skin problems, blood disorders, and issues with circulation.

When the liver is sluggish it develops ama (toxic buildup) and Ayurveda recommends doing a liver and blood cleanse to help clear stagnation which obstructs the livers performance. There are certain Ayurvedic therapies and herbs that help support a liver and blood cleanse.

Herbal Supplements that Support Liver Cleansing

  1. Livokot
  2. Patolakaturohinyadi Kwatham
  3. Punarnavadi Kwatham
  4. Punarnava Asavam
  5. Kumarya Asavam
  6. Avipathi Churnam
  7. Triphaladi Churnam
  8. Trivril Leham

If you have any questions about Kottakkal products, please contact

Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and information are not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure, or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute, or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the advice of a trained Ayurvedic professional, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at We will provide you with information to consult with Ayurvedic professionals. Always check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.


Kottakkal Support

Vaidya Vishwanath grew up in Pune, India which is hub of traditional Ayurvedic gurukul teachings, following the principles of Ayurveda as part of his culture. He has dedicated his career over the past 1 ½ decades to the science of Ayurveda.

Also in Healing with Kottakkal Ayurveda

Boosting Energy and Rejuvenation with Narasimha Rasayana
Boosting Energy and Rejuvenation with Narasimha Rasayana

by Kottakkal Support June 21, 2024

Narasimha Rasayanam is an herbal jam formulated with base ingredients of butter, honey, and milk. This time-tested remedy is believed to promote balance within the body's three doshas, vata, pitta, and kapha and supports a range of health concerns. From supporting physical strength and hair health to promoting rejuvenation and cognitive function, Narasimha Rasayanam offers a multifaceted approach to well-being.

Read More

Finding Relief from Constipation: An Ayurvedic Approach
Finding Relief from Constipation: An Ayurvedic Approach

by Kottakkal Support June 07, 2024

Ayurveda identifies vata dosha, associated with air and space elements, as governing movement in the body, including elimination. When vata becomes imbalanced, its dry and mobile qualities can disrupt the colon's natural flow, leading to constipation. Additionally, weak digestion (agni) can result in ama, a sticky residue that further hinders elimination.

Read More

Abhyanga: Ayurvedic Self-Massage for Improved Wellness
Abhyanga: Ayurvedic Self-Massage for Improved Wellness

by Kottakkal Support April 24, 2024

Abhyanga, an ancient Ayurvedic practice, involves self-massage with warm, herbal oils. These oils are specially formulated using a base of sesame, castor, or coconut oil, and blended with specific herbs to address various doshic imbalances and health concerns. This daily self-care ritual, considered a core part of the Ayurvedic Dinacharya (daily) routine, promotes overall health and well-being.

Read More